National Youth Leadership Training
Be Prepared to Lead the Way
What is National Youth Leadership Training?
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT Course is leadership training experience sponsored by the Denver Area Council and held annually at Tahosa High Adventure Base near Ward, Colorado. The training is conducted by highly qualified youth staff under the supervision of adult advisors.
The course models a month in the life of a unit. The training consists of six days of Scout activities culminating in an overnight outpost camp.
For more information please contact or email Colette Kinnard, 303.570.9372 or Bill Van Horne, 303.870.4375. Additional information from Assistant Camping Registrar JoLynne Conrad, 720.266.2143.
Scouts who have completed an NYLT course and adult Scouters are able and welcome to apply to serve on the 2017 NYLT Leadership teams. Access the staff section for more information and links to the application forms.
Who Should Attend NYLT?
Any Boy Scout or Venturer wishing to perfect their leadership skills. These will help in troop and crew life situations.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be 13 years of age and have not reached their 18th birthday
- Must be at least a First Class Scout
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- Must have the recommendation of their Scoutmaster
- Must be at least 14 years old
- Must have completed Crew Officers Orientation
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Introduction to Leadership Skills for Ships
- Must have the recommendation of the Crew Advisor
- Note: It is advised that Venturers or Sea Scouts over the age of 18 should consider taking the Wood Badge Leadership Course in place of NYLT.
- He or she must agree to spend the entire scheduled week participating in the National Youth Leadership Training Course.
- He or she should have held a leadership position in his or her unit, if possible, or be considering a position in the near future.
- The Scout or Venturer should be an experienced camper with good camping, hiking, and outdoor cooking skills.
One week in the beautiful mountains at Tahosa High Adventure Base is $295.00 per registrant.
There will be three opportunities for participants and their parents/guardians to learn more about NYLT, ask questions, and turn in paperwork. You only need to attend one session. All sessions will be held at Hamilton Scout Headquarters. The sessions will be held on:
- April 25, Tuesday at 6:30pm
- May 9, Tuesday at 6:30pm
- May 27, Saturday at 9am
Dates, Scoutmasters and Registrars for NYLT 2017
Denver Area Council will run five sessions of NYLT in 2017 - three in June and two in July.
|Week 1: Sunday, June 11 - Saturday, June 17, 2017
||Scoutmaster: Tim Brackett
Senior Patrol Leader: Max Wilson
|Week 2: Sunday, June 18 - Saturday, June 24, 2017
||Scoutmaster: Mark Field
Senior Patrol Leader: Cole White
|Week 3: Sunday, June 25 - Saturday, July 1, 2017
||Scoutmaster: Don Tidwell
Senior Patrol Leader: Isaac Clemons
|Week 4: Sunday, July 2 - Saturday, July 8, 2017
||Scoutmaster: Jason Pettis
Senior Patrol Leader: Trevor Dine
|Week 5: Sunday, July 9 - Saturday, July 15, 2017
||Session Director: Rick White
Scoutmaster (A): Jim Auslen
Senior Patrol Leader (A): Kendall Kinnard
Scoutmaster (B): Mike McAteer
Senior Patrol Leader (B): Eric Brockmeier